Warrior Guardian

Warrior Guardian

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Becoming Unconditional with Sex

There is a video going around Facebook right now, titled “Married Sex During the Week”. It consists of a man suggestively rubbing his wifes back, while she, in impatience and disgust, makes excuse after excuse to dissuade him – I did a lot of laundry and I’m tired; I haven’t showered in three days, and I smell like a bag of onions; I don’t want to cuddle, because cuddling means your pants will come off and I will have to do things; Are you pouting? You’re pouting, aren’t you? – as the days of the week tick by.
Eventually, on Friday night, in exasperation she tells her husband that she can give him five minutes, so he has to be fast and just get it done.

The caption to the video? “How many can relate to this?” With laughing emojis.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watching this struck a chord, and not a funny one. If this video really does feel familiar to you, you know as well as I do how not-funny it really is to want to share the ultimate intimacy with your spouse, and being told no. Or to be the one to say no.


I remember when this was the norm in my marriage - right down to the disgust and exasperation on my wife's face. I remember asking for sex and being told no. I remember feeling rejected and wondering what was wrong with her - and what was wrong with me. I would roll away from her, sometimes getting up and sleeping somewhere else.

And I remember when she would give in just to shut me up.

She didn't trust me to cuddle, because I took it as an invitation for sex. We stopped cuddling.
She said "no" so often, I stopped trusting that she ever actually wanted to be intimate, and only did to make me stop asking. I stopped asking, refusing to be vulnerable.
Eventually, physical contact stopped altogether.

Hurt, anger, frustration, distrust. This is what sex was for us. For many, many years that was all we experienced when it came to sexual intimacy. We were disconnected, and unhappy.


What changed?


I did. I chose to change how I showed up for, and with, my beloved wife, when it came to our sex life.


I chose to let go of my perceived “biological need”, and stopped expecting her to want to have sex every time I did.
I chose to make cuddling just that - nothing more, so I could learn to appreciate just having her close.  
I chose to trust that Marianne always, always loves me, and always wants to be intimate. That her saying "no" only means that sex is not the form of intimacy she needs.

I chose to be unconditional. To allow Marianne to say "no", and to stay present, stay emotionally, mentally, and physically engaged with her, so that I could show that it is HER I want - not her vagina and breasts. Not the sex. I want her.

I chose to be happy, no matter how she responded.

I made that decision over a year ago. It has been a journey. Months of conversations, listening to what she needs and wants, likes and dislikes, what makes her feel loved. I made mistakes. There were times I became frustrated. There were times I still felt hurt and rejected. Earning her trust seemed an impossible task.


I kept going. I stayed true to my choice. I chose to believe I was doing the right thing and moving in the right direction, even when I made mistakes. Even on the days when it felt that my body would explode if I we didn’t have sex.

I chose to believe that Marianne is worth giving my trust, and worth waiting for, whether or not she reciprocates, however long it does or does not take.

And in that time, Marianne made her own choices. She had her own journey to travel. It took her longer than I thought, longer than I wanted, to begin trusting me again.


I waited.  Patiently, lovingly, and staying true to myself and my commitment, until she was ready. I grew in love for her, and for myself. Day by day, I became the man she needed.


And every moment of the journey is worth it. Every heart ache. Every prayer. Every time I turned to the Lord for what I needed. Every moment of growth was worth it.


Every. Single. One.


And now, Marianne and I share the most passionate physical, emotional, and spiritual intimacy, as often as either of us wants, because we have chosen a bottom line: We love each other. We honor each other. We are always connected in love. And we live in the way that makes it true, every single day.

Because in the end, sex is the RESULT of ultimate connection and intimacy, not the source. And in this kind of relationship, there is never a feeling of lack. Whether we have sex once a day or once a year, it is enough - because I want HER. Not sex. 


Marianne, I am sorry for the time in our marriage when you couldn't trust me. I am sorry for not trusting you.


Thank you for taking the time to let me back in.


I love you.


#limitlessconnection

#howtoman


22 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I am currently choosing to be unconditional with sex. It is a journey. Reading this was very helpful. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triggers are going off everywhere! Thank you for sharing this Anthony...it brings hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous, thanks for acknowledging the triggers. They are gifts to let you know what is standing in the way for you to have unconditional love and sex

      Delete
  3. Wow! I love that u are willing . To be so raw and open up to all of us . Thank you Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is right on the mark. You described the problem exactly, and found the solution. Hallelujah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anthony, I really enjoyed the words you have shared in this post. The words resonate with me and my marriage. I am the one who needs to change and I know it. You are truely being inspired to help those who need to hold onto what they have. I want the most unconditional experiences with my spouse. I want to create that special bond that ties us together. You are creating a master piece Anthony!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder Anthony! You two are an inspiraling in my relationship with Tesha.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some triggers happening. I am just barely stepping into letting go of my abusers. Specifically at the moment Sexual Abusers. Thank you for sharing this Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That sounds like my spouse and I. I am on the paved road to recovery. My spouse is still on the dirt bumpy road some where, but making progress. I pray soon we will both be on the autobahn together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope... you give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At first I thought, woah, should I read something so personal about someone else's experience? It didn't take more than one sentence in though, to substitute our names with yours, and it was our story exactly. So many people's story. My husband and I found our way back to each other as well, and I hope others find comfort and hope in your vulnerable experience, to find their way back to each other! Thank you both for your example.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that was really awesome of you to share. I am glad your wife came around, though. Sometimes women use sex as a form of punishment and I think it is sad (and wrong) that they would withhold something that can be so beautiful and fulfilling for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you. I needed to read this, I needed to know that this doesnt have to be normal and i'm not the only one who feels this way

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Anthony for being so open. We are lucky to have this unconditional physical, spiritual, and emotional intimacy in our marriage but I have never been good with words to describe how we got there. This is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well said, Anthony. Many people think that intimacy = sex, when sex is only one part of it. I'm also on this same journey, learning how to find joy in loving my wife for who she is without expectations. I've found that when I'm more concerned with my needs than hers, I will undoubtedly become frustrated. When I'm more concerned with her needs than mine, I'm happy even if sex isn't a part of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great information for both parties. I appreciate your willingness to be vulnerable and guide us all in an all too familiar problem. It's only funny because so many of us can relate. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You just described this so exactly perfectly... You have such a gift. Thank you for being honest a vulnerable about this topic. My favorite part is the true statement that sex is the result of the connection; it doesn't make the connection. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome post Anthony! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's reverse here he is the one not interested in sex , it's been almost a year and I'm still here with this man my Husband . He tells me it's not me and that he still Loves Me , I miss the intimacy between us , I miss the cuddling , I miss the kisses in the middle of the day , he is going through male menopause and has not desire at all! It's funny that when women go through Menopause and we now longer have to worry about getting pregnant, we are able to let go and enjoy sex more , when women are at there Sexual Peak , men are losing it it seems and that is not fair ! We've been Married 31 Wonderful YRS. And I know he's not cheating on me , he is also Suffering from ED and has been to the Dr. And has been given prescriptions for treatment but so far nothing works , anyone else going through this ?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I find it funny really, you see my wife has created this pattern. She only wanted to be close when she wanted sex other than that she wanted nothing to do with me. Now according to this artical I am the cause of all the trouble and distrust issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not the cause of your wife's actions - her choices are hers, and only hers. How you choose to respond to her actions are 100% your responsibility. She cannot make you happy, and you can't make her trust you. Both are choices to be made. When you choose to let go of all expectations you have of her, and choose show up in unconditional love, whether or not she reciprocates, you find a peace a happiness that is unaffected by her actions, and create a space for her to choose how she wants to show up.

      Delete
  20. Thank you, yes yes yes!!!

    ReplyDelete