Warrior Guardian

Warrior Guardian

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Grown-ups only act like they know what they are doing

Limitless Mentoring from my nine-year-old
A conversation as I was trying to usher my children into the van after a get-together at their grandparents:
J: Dad, why are you acting so upset?
Me:Because you guys aren't doing what I have asked you to do.
J: Yes, we are! We do what you ask and then you just tell us to hurry up, and then do this, and then do that, and just keep getting upset.
Me: Well, if you are being obedient, then you don't have to worry about what I am saying or the tone I am saying it in.
J: Well. I don't like your tone, or your attitude right now!
[pause while I slow down to consider which direction to take this conversation]
Me: I don't like it either!
J: Then why are you doing it?
Me: Because mommy seems like she is upset and I am reflecting her attitude.
J: Why are you reflecting it? You don't have to reflect it.
Me: I'm reflecting it because I am not being conscious and I am allowing mommy's attitude to dictate mine.
J: You don't have to do that, and when you do it just makes things worse for us.
Me: You are right. I don't have to at all! Thank you, J, for helping me to calm down and become conscious of my actions.
J: [knowing nod as she buckles herself in]
This was an actual conversation, word for word, that I had with my daughter last night.
This is why we do what we do in Limitless. My daughter has learned that she has a voice and is confident in using it to stand up for what she knows is right, and I am in a space now where I can acknowledge to my child that I am in the wrong, and allow myself to receive a mentoring moment from her.
#limitless #limitlessconnection #outofthenmouthofbabes
No automatic alt text available.

No comments:

Post a Comment